Some Great Outdoor Activities
|Youths with disabilities handcycling|
The following are some ideas for family oriented sports and home activities that the whole family can enjoy:
- Make your own bubble shapes using thin flexible wire and have the children chase bubbles in the backyard or park
- Set up an obstacle course in the backyard that requires the kids to climb, hop, and jump.
- Play croquet.
- Plan a treasure hunt in the backyard.
- Take a nature walk through a local park or forest.
- Play hop-scotch, tag, jump rope or hide and go seek.
- Plant a garden or clean up the garden by pulling weeds and mowing the lawn.
- Walk the family dog, or if you don't have a dog, offer to walk a neighbor's dog.
- Take a walk or bike ride after dinner together, or go to the park for some fun.
- Take the kids to the local swimming pool.
- Have a hula hoop contest.
- Go on a bug hunt and see how many different kinds of bugs the kids can find.
- Play Frisbee.
- Wash the car.
- Rake the leaves in the fall, or shovel the snow in the winter.
- Build an ice rink in the backyard during the winter and go ice skating.
- Fly a kite together on a windy day.
- Go to a driving range or play miniature golf.
- Play hide and seek
- Play traditional backyard sports like basketball, kickball, softball, and badminton.
- Have a picnic outdoors and let the kids help prepare the food.
- Take a trip to the local zoo; it is fun and involves lots of walking or wheeling.
- Play a game of catch.