Cardiovascular Training Guidelines with Post-Polio
- Set an exercise pace that feels good to you. Rate your level of exertion by the Rating of Perceived Exertion scale (range of 6 to 20 where 6 = very, very light, and 20 = very, very hard); 12 to 14 is a good target zone. For more information, see the General Exercise Guidelines factsheet.
- Depending on your level of conditioning, experiment with the "interval approach," this involves a day of rest between exercise sessions and short rests between exercise bouts.
- If you are deconditioned, or do not exercise regularly, begin your exercise program by exercising for 10 to 20 minutes per session, at 2- to 4-minute intervals, with a 1-minute rest between intervals. You may gradually increase your exercise up to 30 to 40 minutes per session, if you experience no problems.
- Exercise for at least three sessions per week and on alternate days.
- Use as many muscle groups as possible.