Important Considerations with Exercise and Post-Polio
- Obtain a complete medical evaluation and physician consent before beginning an exercise program.
- If possible, work with a knowledgeable exercise physiologist/exercise trainer and/or physical therapist in developing a program.
- Exercise a full program for muscles that have not been affected.
- Short-term exercise is indicated for affected muscles showing no signs of weakness.
- Exercise is contraindicated for affected, severely weakened muscles (less than antigravity strength on manual muscle testing).
- Keep a log of regular daily activities in order to monitor and regulate your fatigue and energy levels.
- Immediately STOP exercising upon experiencing weakness or discomfort after exercise. This is a sign of excess activity!