III. Eye Exercises
Eye exercises - These exercises strengthen and relax the eye muscles, as well as stimulate the optic nerve. The following exercise is good for beginners:
- Sit cross-legged on the floor (or sit comfortably on a chair) with the body properly aligned, eyes are closed.
- Slowly open the eyes and bring the right hand in front of the face (an arm's length distance). All the fingers are tucked in a fist except for the thumb, with the thumbnail facing toward the face.
- Instruct the student to move the right hand up. With eyes wide open, track the thumb with the eyes only without blinking. Stop when the eyes cannot see the thumb anymore.
- With the gaze relaxed and steady, follow as the right hand moves back to center.
- Repeat this exercise, moving the hand down - back to center - right - back to center - left - back to center
- After this set, rub the palms together until some warmth is generated
- Gently cup the hands over the eyes ("palming") and relax.
- Do another set of eye exercises. At the last set of exercises, end with palming and gently massage the eyelids with the fingertips, then massaging other areas of the face, neck and shoulders.