Benefits of Yoga
Overall health benefits can be seen in:
- Digestive system. Bending and stretching poses help move and stimulate the digestive system
- Cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary systems. Specific types of yoga can be a good form of aerobic exercise that increases one's heart rate. The practice of pranayama helps expand lung capacity and heart strength.
- Lymphatic system. This is a primary component of an individual's immune system. Unlike blood, the lymphatic system has no pump. Instead it relies on muscle activity and body movement for circulation. Physical activity and stretching (yoga asanas) propels lymph, but it will also develop strong muscles that continually encourage lymph movement. Regular practice of pranayama stimulates the action of the lungs, diaphragm, and thorax which are a primary pump for the lymph fluid .
- Skeletal system and muscular systems. Asanas encourage the individual to keep his or her body in proper alignment. Regular yoga practice strengthens the muscles and increases overall flexibility.
Developmental benefits include:
- Developmental milestones are reached.
- Motor coordination is enhanced.
- Increased body awareness and orientation are achieved.
- Yoga practices develop focus and concentration.
- Yoga games encourage learning, creativity and imagination.