Tips for Low-Carb Beverage Consumption
By Carleton Rivers, MS, RD, LD
1) Water wins the Best Choice Award!
**Instead of drinking sodas and juice, drink water throughout the day**
2) Ways to sweeten your water:
- Add no-calorie liquid enhancers like Mio or Dasani Drops
- Add Crystal Light powder to your water bottle or pitcher
- Add sliced lemons and/or limes to a glass or pitcher of water
3) Diet Sodas/Light Fruit Juice
- “Diet” and “light” drinks have artificial sweeteners in them so consume in moderation.
4) Coffee or tea with no-calorie sweetener (Splenda, Stevia, Equal, etc)
- Freshly brewed coffee and tea are great options for low carb drinks. Avoid the coffee and tea drinks that contain sugar.
- Stevia is a natural no-calorie sweetener so it does not need to be limited like other artificial no-calorie sweeteners.
- No-calorie sweeteners like Splenda, Sweet-n-Low, Equal, and Sucrose are artificially made and should be consumed in moderation.
- Truvia is made up of stevia which is natural as well as other ingredients; treat Truvia like an artificial sweetener and only use it a couple times each day.
Modified Source: Beth Marks, J. S. (2010). Health Matters: The Exercise Nutrition Health Education Curriculum for People with Developmental Disabilities. Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co.