By Rebecca Cline
Training the body does not only consist of physical activity; it also includes proper nutrition to achieve optimal performance. Fueling for physical activity is a high priority for Olympians and Paralympians, but what would athletes choose to eat from a McDonald’s menu? During this year’s 2016 games, the famous fast-food chain is providing free food to the athletes and coaches within the Rio village. McDonald’s has been a sponsor for the games since 1976.
Since this year’s games have started, it seems that many Olympic athletes took advantage of the opportunity and would consume a plethora of the variety offered. Because of this, the McDonald’s started to limit the amount to 20 items an individual could order at one time. Lines into the Golden Arches restaurant have been as long as 50 people. While it seems that McDonalds is far from a healthy choice, several athletes have chosen to devour its menu as they may not be as familiar with Brazilian foods and do not want to risk any food reactions before competition. However, after their event, many athletes feel like they could take a break from “clean eating” and pig out. How will the Paralympians act amongst the free food this year?
For the health-conscious, it can be challenging to choose healthy items at a fast food restaurant. A general tip when hitting the drive-thru is to steer clear of any fried foods and opt for grilled items instead. What are some healthy options on the McDonald’s menu? Items that typically have fewer calories and/or sodium would be the most appropriate choices to consume.
• Fruit ‘N Yogurt Parfait: 150 Calories | 30g Carb | 2g Fat | 4g Protein
• Egg White Delight McMuffin: 250 Calories | 29g Carb | 8g Fat | 17 g Protein
• Fruit & Maple Oatmeal: 290 Calories | 58g Carb | 4g Fat | 5g Protein
Lunch or Dinner
• Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad: 350 Calories | 27g Carb | 12g Fat | 37g Protein
• Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad: 320 Calories | 9g Carb | 14g Fat | 42g Protein
• Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwich: 380 Calories | 44g Carb | 6g Fat | 37g Protein
• Filet-O-Fish: 390 Calories | 38g Carb | 19g Fat | 17g Protein
• Apple Slices: 15 Calories | 4g Carb | 0g Fat | 0g Protein
• Cuties: 35 Calories | 8g Carb | 0g Fat | 0g Protein
• Yoplait Go-GURT Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt:150 Calories | 30g Carb | 2g Fat | 4g Protein
• Side Salad: 15 Calories | 3g Carb | 0g Fat | 1g Protein