From the Information Specialist's Desk: NCHPAD Joins Safe Routes!
This month, our articles highlight several monthly observances as well as focus on a new NCHPAD initiative. Check out the Nutrition Corner to see how to make more informed food choices in recognition of National Nutrition Month®, and for Brain Awareness Week, read about fitness activities for your body and your brain in the FITT column. We would also like to express our excitement to being on board for the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) initiative as NCHPAD has just been awarded two grants to assist the program in ensuring children with disabilities are included in the program components. Read this month's Community Voice that spotlights another program that has joined these same efforts, and read this month's Director's Column to find out more about SRTS and the importance of including children with disabilities.
National Brain Injury Awareness Month
For more information, contact the Brain Injury Association of America at 703-761-0750 or firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.biausa.org.
NCHPAD Resources on brain injury:
- Factsheet on Acquired Brain Injury at http://www.ncpad.org/98/723/Acquired~Brain~Injury
- Focus on Secondary Condition Prevention: Decreasing Secondary Conditions in People with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Using Exercise at http://www.ncpad.org/455/2330/Focus~on~Secondary~Condition~Prevention~~Decreasing~
National Multiple Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
For more information, contact the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation at 800-225-6495, Ext. 121, or email@example.com or go to www.msfocus.org.
Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, March 10-17
For more information, contact the National Multiple Sclerosis Society at 800-344-4867 or 212-986-3240 or MSAwarenessweek@nmss.org or go to www.nationalmssociety.org.
NCHPAD Resources on Multiple Sclerosis:
- Factsheet on Multiple Sclerosis: Designing an Exercise Program at http://www.ncpad.org/156/1192/Multiple~Sclerosis~~~Designing~an~Exercise~Program
- Factsheet on Multiple Sclerosis and Exercise at http://www.ncpad.org/155/1175/Multiple~Sclerosis~and~Exercise
- Nutrition Factsheet on Multiple Sclerosis and Nutrition at http://www.ncpad.org/99/733/Multiple~Sclerosis~and~Nutrition
- Factsheet on Multiple Sclerosis at http://www.ncpad.org/70/520/Multiple~Sclerosis
- Video Clip Series: Exercise for People with Multiple Sclerosis at http://www.ncpad.org/226/1500/Exercise~for~People~with~Multiple~Sclerosis~-~Series~I and http://www.ncpad.org/256/1661/Exercise~for~People~with~Multiple~Sclerosis~-~Series~II
American Diabetes Alert Day, March 25
For more information, contact the American Diabetes Association at 800-DIABETES (342-2383) or 703-549-1500 or firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.diabetes.org/communityprograms-and-localevents/americandiabetesalert.jsp.
NCHPAD Resources on Diabetes:
- Factsheet on Diabetes at http://www.ncpad.org/88/661/Diabetes
- Nutrition Factsheet on Eating Well for Diabetes at http://www.ncpad.org/288/1803/Eating~Well~for~Diabetes