Project GAIN (Golf: Accessible and Inclusive Networks) highlights best practices in inclusion, and more specifically best practices in inclusive recreation programs through golf. Project GAIN strives to achieve true inclusion by:
- taking steps to account for the previously mentioned barriers;
- providing in-depth training for comprehensive and appropriate instruction;
- utilizing theory, specifically self-efficacy theory, to obtain predictable and optimal outcomes;
- individualizing lessons to meet each participant’s needs and desires;
- involving the community for greater awareness and acceptance, and to yield long-term inclusive leisure lifestyles for participants; and
- providing necessary adaptations and equipment to best serve participants.
These efforts made by GAIN have led to successfully providing experiences through which individuals reap the vast benefits of golf and true inclusion. GAIN strives for inclusion beyond mere physical access, but rather focuses on social inclusion through which lasting friendships can be developed. Thus, the participants are provided with the tools and experiences to become active and integral members of their communities long after their involvement with Project GAIN.