Important Safety Considerations
- Inform your physician that you are starting a regular exercise program.
- Start slowly, beginning with only a few sets and/ or repetitions, or with lesser resistance/ weight. Then gradually build these elements up as you go.
- Warm-up for approximately 10 minutes before starting your exercises, and cool-down after your exercise session.
- Regularly monitor blood pressure, heart rate, and rate of perceived exertion (RPE). (See NCPAD's General Exercise Guidelines factsheet for more information.)
- Stop exercising if you feel pain or discomfort.
- Don't exercise if you are ill (i.e., cold, flu, bladder infection, pressure ulcer, unusual spasticity).
- Check medications and their effect on exercise tolerance.
- Extended periods of inactivity may cause osteoporosis.