Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Recipe from Eating Well: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/green_bean_casserole.html_0
Total time: 45 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, (half diced, half thinly sliced), divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 pound frozen French-cut green beans, (about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk powder, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a two and one-half-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and slightly translucent, about four minutes. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, one teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices are almost evaporated, three to five minutes. Sprinkle one-third cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about one minute. Stir in sour cream and buttermilk powder. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the remaining one-third cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining one-quarter teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining two tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion along with any remaining flour mixture and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, four to five minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for five minutes before serving.
212 calories; 10 g fat; 10 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.