Sugar Shocks and Traps
Just because a sugar is “natural” doesn’t mean it’s healthy.
- Check out the items below and compare their sugar content with the limits above.
- 20 fl. oz. bottle of regular soda = 65 grams of sugar
- 1 large bottle of sports drink = 52.5 grams of sugar
- 1 cup of orange juice = 20.8 grams of sugar
- 1 cup non-fat chocolate milk = 28 grams of sugar
- 1 NutriGrain bar = 12 grams of sugar
- 3/4 cup Frosted Flakes = 10 grams of sugar
- 1 Tbsp of ketchup = 4 grams of sugar
Fiber helps slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream which allows the body to secrete less insulin (hormone) at one given time.
These days, sugar is found in almost every packaged product in the grocery store.
Reasons for Added Sugar:
- Balances the acidity of foods containing vinegar and tomatoes
- Gives baked goods texture and color
- Helps preserve foods
- Fuels fermentation (enables bread to rise)