From the Information Specialists' Desks
Updates and Upcoming Events
We have officially hit the one month point of our new website, and hope that you have enjoyed and appreciated all of the changes that we have made. We hope that you are finding it easier to access all of the resource information you need, whether through our extensive video library, articles, blog, or social media outlets.
We are continuing to update and post new content daily. If there is anything in particular that you would like to see, if you have any questions about navigating and engaging with the new site, and/or need help locating any specific resources to help fit your needs, our information specialists are always here to help you via email, phone, or live web chat.
Research Survey Opportunity
Dr. Muge Akyildiz is currently conducting research at California State University, Chico, on the effects of "serious leisure activity" participation on people with disabilities. Serious leisure activities include such sports and activities as adapted water skiing, wheelchair tennis, wheelchair dancing, adapted track and field, and so on. Participants are asked to complete a survey focusing on their activity of choice, level of involvement, and health and wellness. Participants also have the option to be entered into a drawing for one of 10 $20 Amazon gift cards in appreciation of their completion of the survey, which will be awarded based on a random drawing.
To access the survey, CLICK HERE.
For any additional questions, Dr. Akyildiz can be contacted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elevate Health, a quarterly research digest of the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition.
This month's issue "Masters Athletes: Competitive Sports and Sports Nutrition for Older Adults" looks at the recent rise in masters athletes and explores their unique nutritional needs. It also explores how those specific nutritional requirements are affected by physiological changes that occur as we get older.
In this issue...
Opening commentary is provided by Cornell McClellan, a member of the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition as well as the fitness consultant and personal trainer for the first family.
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities' (AAIDD) 138th Annual Meeting
- June 23-26
- Orlando, Florida
- The AAIDD annual meeting is one of the largest gatherings of researchers, practitioners, educators, advocates, and others to share and discuss the latest in research, practices, policy initiatives, and so much more.
- International Summit on Accessibility
- July 12-15
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- The purpose of the summit is to bring together people with disabilities, practitioners, planners, academics, designers, and others to discuss and promote incorporating and increasing accessibility and inclusion for persons with disabilities in all aspects of life.
- North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity 2014 Symposium
- October 16-18
- University of Michigan—Ann Arbor, MI
- This year’s NAFAPA Symposium is centered on the concept of “Generating New Scientific Knowledge in Adapted Physical Activity to Benefit Individuals with Disabilities.” The vast number of sessions at the Symposium should provide invaluable information to bolster programs and other efforts going forward.
- Getting from A to B: Connecting Individuals to Transportation Resources in Your Community
- Wednesday, June 25
- 2pm to 3:30pm EDT
- This webinar will help providers match customers and clients with their transportation needs and will cover such topics as ADA paratransit, dial-a-ride, and other specialized transport services.
- Abuse of People with Disabilities: A Silent Epidemic
- Thursday, June 26
- 1:30pm to 2:30pm EDT
- Self-advocates Molly Kennedy and Kecia Weller will present their PSA “Abuse of People with Disabilities: A Silent Epidemic” and provide context on the abuse
- Accessible Toilet and Bathing Facilities
- Thursday, July 10
- 2:30pm to 4pm EST
- This session will provide an in depth outline and discussion on creating accessible toilet and bathing facilities that goes beyond basic accessibility requirements.
- Useful Apps
- Thursday, July 24
- 2pm to 3:30pm EST
- This session will demonstrate several great apps for individuals with disabilities. In true smackdown fashion there will be a website with apps added as they are discovered.
- Accessible Routes
- Thursday, August 7
- 2:30pm to 4pm EST
- This session will include an advance level discussion of the accessible route provisions and focus on issues such as overlapping clear space requirements and door maneuvering clearances, exterior routes, among other issues. Presenters will highlight some of the more frequently asked questions and also respond to your questions submitted in advance.