From the Information Specialist's Desk
- Welcome back from summer vacation! We at NCHPAD are enthusiastic about a wide range of activities and news, in addition to the Paralympic Games. As Dr. Rimmer's column highlights, the Olympics cannot embody the concepts of inclusion for athletes of all abilities without one integrated Olympics.
- In this issue we feature a new public health corner, a multiple sclerosis exercise video clip, NPCAD publications on an accessible aquatics facility in St. Louis, MO, spina bifida and exercise, nutritional tips for persons with cancer, and much more.
- Don't forget to explore NCPAD's new Web site at http://www.ncpad.org, with publications, programs, references, etc., at your fingertips.
- September is cancer awareness month for leukemia and lymphoma (The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#3, 800-955-4572), prostate cancer (National Prostate Cancer Coalition, http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#4, 888-245-9455 ), and ovarian cancer (The National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#5, 888-OVARIAN). See the NCHPAD factsheets on cancer (http://www.ncpad.org/32/234/Cancer; http://www.ncpad.org/163/1255/Cancer~and~Exercise) and breast cancer (http://www.ncpad.org/31/216/Breast~Cancer), as well as nutritional suggestions for persons with cancer (http://www.ncpad.org/234/1535/Tips~for~Persons~with~Cancer).
- Celebrate Healthy Aging Month! See the Healthy Aging Campaign Web site (http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#6), with tips on physical, social, financial, and mental wellness. The International Coalition of Active Aging (http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#7) will host an Active Aging 2004 conference, November 11-13, in Orlando, FL. See activities on Family Health and Fitness Day, Saturday September 25 (http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#8), and Women's Health and Fitness Day, Wednesday, September 29 (http://www.ncpad.org/682/3018/2004-09-01#9).