Weight Training Safety Considerations
- Always have a spotter. A spotter is someone who assists the lifter when the lifter can no longer perform the exercises properly or safely.
- Use proper warm-up and cool-down procedures. Warming up the body via mild cardiovascular exercise and stretching is essential to avoid injury.
- Keep the weight room clean and re-rack the weights when you are finished lifting them.
- Use proper technique. Ask a fitness professional for help if needed.
- Progress into the weight-training program slowly to avoid excessive initial muscle soreness.
- Do not train the same muscles on consecutive days. High-intensity training requires that you allow each muscle at least 48 hours to recover after a weight training session. Do not lift the same muscle group more than twice in a week.
- Follow sound nutritional principles. You body will need the proper nutrients to rebuild the muscles following high-intensity training.