Kale Salad Recipe
For a twist on a traditional salad, try mixing up the greens and adding some different toppings. This kale salad is dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar and topped with pecans, cranberries, and Parmesan cheese. Kale is a specific dark-leafy green that has risen in popularity over the recent years due to its excellent nutrient value. Topping the salad with nuts and seeds is a great way to mix up the toppings. The American Heart Association recognizes pecans and other nuts and seeds as heart-healthy. To be selected as heart-healthy, these foods have to meet the requirements for beneficial nutrients. Pecans and olive oil are both great heart-healthy foods, low in saturated fat, trans-fat, and cholesterol. To override the slightly bitter taste of raw kale and to soften the leaves, dress the salad in vinegar and olive oil. This dressing also pairs well with the crunch of the pecans and sweetness of the cranberries. Allergen friendly modifications can be found in the recipe listed below.
• 6 Cups Raw Kale, destemmed
• 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
• 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
• 1/2 Cup Pecans, chopped
• 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
• Chop handfuls of kale into small bite-sized pieces until all of the kale is chopped.
• Place the chopped kale into a large mixing bowl and mix in the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
• Let stand for 5 minutes to soften the leaves.
• Combine the remaining ingredients, stir, and enjoy!
• Allergen modifications: For a nut allergy, omit the pecans or replace with sunflower or pumpkin seeds for a crunch. For a dairy allergy, omit the Parmesan cheese.
• Preparation modifications: To avoid chopping, purchase prepared items such as: baby kale, sliced pecans, and grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.