By Whitney Neal
For many, summer is a time for vacationing, whether it is as simple as taking a few days off to spend time at the beach or going on a more extended trip somewhere. When developing these trips, people tend to leave exercise out of the plans, but it does not have to be that way! Exercise can be a fun part of any vacation that can easily be incorporated without having a structured time. Whether it’s running, biking, or walking around the city or through nature, here are five ways to incorporate exercise into your travels:
1. Plan for Exercise. Be sure to pack attire appropriate for the activities that you plan to do. If you know that you plan on hiking, pack your hiking shoes, a backpack, and lightweight clothing. Also, don’t forget your walking shoes so that you can do plenty of walking around the city.
2. Try driving instead of flying. If possible, drive to your vacation destination instead of flying. Map out points of interest on your travel route ahead of time. This will allow for well-deserved breaks as well as an opportunity to learn more about the area.
3. Opt for walking tours. Many major cities offer guided walking tours. This will allow you to incorporate aerobic activity into your vacation. Be sure to call ahead to make sure the tour is accessible. Another option is to organize your own walking tour of the city. This allows you to take your time to see the sights and customize your vacation.
4. Walk whenever you can. When making travel plans, choose a hotel that is within walking distance to many of the city’s main attractions so that you can get in as much movement as possible. Try walking anywhere within a reasonable distance from your starting point, given that the area is safe and accessible. If you plan to visit a few points of interest that are located somewhat close to each other, walk from one to the other instead of driving or taking a bus.
5. Get active after meals. Burn off those extra calories that you indulged in by engaging in light physical activity after a meal. Take a stroll downtown, do some shopping after lunch, or walk back to your hotel after your meal instead of catching a cab.