Updates and Upcoming Events
NCHPAD Introduces Quarterly Digests
Previewed in this month’s newsletter, be on the lookout for NCHPAD’s new Quarterly Digests from each of our Sectors. These digests were created to allow for more tailored information for our users in their targeted areas.
To sign up for a Digest, please visit this link.
Registration Open for Partnership for a Healthier America Summit
The Building a Healthier Future Summit is a must-attend event for all corporations, nonprofits and others focused on creating solutions to ensure every child grows up at a healthy weight.
Our Summit provides a unique opportunity for those in the private sector to sit with their nonprofit, academic and government counterparts to address an issue critical to the future of this country’s health and well-being. Attendees walk away with tangible, actionable solutions that will indeed help us to make the healthy choice the easy choice for all Americans, regardless of where they live, work or play.
To register for the summit that takes place in Washington, DC, May 2-4, 2018, please click here.
National Recreation and Park Association Award Opportunity
Are you working to ensure everybody in your community has access to opportunities to be healthy through local parks and recreation? If so, you may be eligible for The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)-NRPA Award for Health Equity.
Why should you apply?
If you have worked to successfully implement a systems change approach to reducing health disparities and improving equity in your community within the past two years, YOU should apply! The awardee will receive a $3,000 prize and an opportunity to be recognized nationally both at the NRPA Annual Conference in Indianapolis this September, and at the annual RWJF ceremony.
Deadline to apply is March, 23, 2018.
APHA Call for 2018 Abstracts
The Disability Section of the American Public Health Association is seeking abstracts on topics related to disability and public health for presentation at the 2018 APHA annual meeting.
• Assessing and supporting the mental health of people with disabilities
• Building an inclusive workforce: Access to education and jobs for people with disabilities
• Disability data collection and surveillance
• Disability, intersectionality (race, gender, class, and sexuality) and health equity
• Ensuring the right to health and health care for persons with disabilities
• Evidence-based health promotion interventions for persons with disabilities
• Health, economic and social disparities among people with disabilities (including youth, young adults, and older adults with disabilities)
• Historical context of disability and public health; Celebrating 30 years in APHA
• Innovative policies, programs and services that focus on improving the health and wellness of people with disabilities
• Integrating disability in medical and healthcare education and practice
• Maternal health and health care, including reproductive and perinatal health, for women with disabilities
• Policies, programs and services that promote inclusion of people with disabilities
• Policy, systems and environmental changes that support health equity and community inclusion for people with disabilities
Submission deadline is Monday, February 19, 2018. For program questions, please contact the program planner, Amy Rauworth at firstname.lastname@example.org or Katherine Froehlich-Grobe at email@example.com.
Systematic Review of Evidence-Based Practices for Inclusive Playground Design
The importance of play in the development of children, and the benefits that may be provided by playgrounds have been documented in various studies. However, much less is understood about how playgrounds can be designed to include children with disabilities. This systematic review of peer-reviewed literature examined evidence-based practices of inclusive playground design and identified 10 practices that have effectively provided children with disabilities the opportunity to participate on playgrounds.
Click for article information, please click here.
Register for SHAPE America 2018
This year the annual conference will be held in Nashville, Tennessee. The conference will take place March 20-24, 2018.
Click here to register
EveryBody Walk! 2018 Walking College Program
Looking for a way to gain the skills and knowledge needed to make your community more walkable? Know someone who would be a great candidate to take their walking advocacy to the next level? America Walks is excited to announce the opening of applications for the fourth year of the Walking College. The Walking College is an interactive, online educational program for walkable community advocates. Learn more here and apply by February 28th!
Click here for more information.
NCHPAD in the News!
NCHPAD staff was recently interviewed for feedback on an article on fitness options for people with a disability.
Read the full article here.