Updates and Upcoming Events
New Resource: Discover Accessible Fitness
In partnership with Beneficial Designs, we have released a new resource titled “Discover Accessible Fitness: A Wheelchair User’s Guide for Using Fitness Equipment.” This resource can be used by people with disability and fitness professionals to become familiar with key considerations for wheelchair users using fitness equipment. This guide discusses safety, stability, adaptive equipment, accessibility, exercise precautions, and provides a full overview of the components of fitness, including cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility.
This guide can be viewed online at www.nchpad.org/discoverfitness and is available for download by following this link. To request a print copy, please contact us. To share this resource with your networks, please download and distribute this press release.
- Helping People with Hearing Loss Hear in Public Places through the Use of Hearing Loop Technology
- August 26, 2-3.30pm EST
- Webinar will explain hearing loss, needs of those who experience it, and why and how additional assistive technology (in this case, loop technology) beyond hearing aids or cochlear implants may be beneficial.
- Open Q&A with Accessibility Online
- September 4, 2.30-4pm EST
- Webinar will feature accessibility specialists and information technology specialists from the Access Board who will answer all submitted questions regarding such topics as the 2010 ADA Accessibility Standard, Section 508, and many more.
- Southwest Conference on Disability
- October 7-10
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- This conference, featuring several presentations and workshops, serves as a gathering of people with disability, disability organizations, government officials, and practitioners and other professionals who work in the disability field to learn about the latest in all aspects of the field and community.
- North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity (NAFAPA) 2014 Symposium
- October 16-18
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- This year’s NAFAPA Symposium is centered on the concept of “Generating New Scientific Knowledge in Adapted Physical Activity to Benefit Individuals with Disabilities.” The vast number of sessions at the Symposium should provide invaluable information to bolster programs and other efforts going forward.
- American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting
- November 15-19
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- This meeting serves as the largest national gathering of officials and practitioners from all aspects of public health. We hope to see you there! Stop by and say hello at booth 1711!