Flexibility & Relaxation Guidelines
- For maximum benefit, combine your stretching program with relaxation and deep breathing exercises.
- If joint instability is not a problem, you can engage in a stretching program targeting each major muscle group daily, before and after a strength and/or cardiovascular session.
- If you regularly experience chronic pain, work with your health care practitioner to distinguish between the pain associated with stretching and chronic pain.
Types of Flexibility & Relaxation Training
- Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi, stretch classes
- Progressive relaxation, deep breathing, biofeedback, visualization exercises