Cardiovascular Training Guidelines
- Start slowly. Rate how hard you feel you are working on a range of 1-10 where 1=very light, and 10=very very hard. Try to keep your effort around 6.
- Begin with low impact cardiovascular activities (walking on a shock absorbing track, walking in the shallow end of a pool, pedaling a stationary bicycle). Evaluate how much you can perform without a flare-up of symptoms.
- Over time, progress to more advanced low impact exercises, such as using a treadmill, ski machine, seated push-pull arm and leg machines, or mini-trampoline.
Types of Cardiovascular Training
- Beginner exercises: walking on a supportive surface (treadmill, shock absorbing track), water exercises, recumbent cycling
- Advanced exercises: treadmill, ski machine, seated push-pull machines, minitrampoline