Important Considerations for Exercise
- Joint Malalignment and Musculoskeletal Imbalances: Before beginning an exercise program, make sure you are evaluated for musculoskeletal imbalances, movement problems around the joints, and muscle deconditioning.
- Exercise Program Progression: Focus on increasing the duration rather than the intensity of an exercise program.
- Pacing: At the start of an exercise program, you may feel increased fatigue. Set a pace that feels comfortable and do not overexert yourself. Make a contract with yourself or your health care practitioner on your intended exercise program and keep a log of your progress.
- Medication: Report to your health care practitioner all medications you are taking, so you are aware of their effects on exercise.
- Mental Fog: If you are having difficulty understanding or remembering information regarding your exercise program, ask your health care practitioner to repeat the information or write it on note cards as a memory aid.