Dinner Recipes for Health
Soft Chicken Tacos
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2-t. salt
- 1/2-t. ground cumin
- 1/2-t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Cooking spray
- 12 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
- 1-½-cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (such as Tillamook)
- Fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub spice mixture over chicken.
- Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; chop.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Divide chicken evenly among tortillas; top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cabbage and 1 teaspoon cheese. Serve with fat-free sour cream, if desired.
Source: Cooking Light magazine, September 2006
Vegetarian Olé Enchiladas
Preparation Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 can (16 oz.) fat-free vegetarian refried beans
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat or regular sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup medium-spicy or mild salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for topping
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced olives, drained
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 can (16 ounces) enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into small chunks, optional
Arrange the tortillas in 2 stacks and place in a cold oven. Heat the oven to 400°F. Remove the tortillas after 10 minutes and cover with a warm damp towel.
Enchilada filling: Mash the refried beans in a medium bowl with a fork. Add the rice, cheese, salsa, cilantro, olives, and hot sauce, if desired. Coat the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.
Place a tortilla on a cutting board and spoon about 1/3-cup filling over the center of a tortilla; roll it up. Set in the baking dish seam-side down. Fill the remaining tortillas and place them in the baking dish.
Toppings: Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese evenly over the top.
Bake, uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand a few minutes before serving and, if desired garnish with a topping of diced avocado.
Preparation Time: Approximately 5 minutes
Cook Time: Approximately 20 minutes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast half (about 8 ounces), cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) low-sodium crushed or chopped Italian-style tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium mixed vegetables, drained
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2 cups freshly cooked whole-wheat spaghetti noodles
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken, and brown on both sides.
- Reduce the heat to medium; add the tomatoes, mixed vegetables, garlic powder and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve over hot whole-wheat spaghetti.
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- Dash of lemon pepper
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- In a zip lock plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, 1 T. of the sesame oil, lemon juice, garlic powder and lemon pepper.
- Add the shrimp to the bag.
- Seal bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove bag from fridge. Drain marinade from bag.
- In a skillet, sauté shrimp in remaining 1 T. sesame oil until shrimp turn pink (about 3 minutes).
- Serve with brown rice, if desired.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Lemon BBQ Chicken with Blond BBQ Sauce
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 lb), skinned
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 lb), skinned
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 2 T light mayonnaise
- 2 T barbecue sauce
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/4 t paprika
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Trim excess fat from chicken.
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, and garlic powder in a large bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons.
- Set aside. Add chicken to lemon juice mixture in large bowl, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 min.
- Combine reserved 2 tablespoons lemon juice mixture, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, chili powder, and paprika. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Remove chicken from bowl. Discard marinade.
- Dredge chicken in breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is done.
- Serve with sauce, and garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 drumstick, 1 thigh, and 2 tablespoons sauce)
Source: Cooking Light, April 1997
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 (10-oz) Italian cheese-flavored thin pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- 3/4 cup tomato chutney
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 2/3 cup diced plum tomato
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place crust on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven; spread chutney over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Top chutney with chicken. Sprinkle diced tomato, cheese, and green onions evenly over chicken.
- Bake at 450° for 9 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut pizza into 6 wedges.
Note: If you can't find tomato chutney, make your own. Combine 2 cups diced plum tomato, 3 T brown sugar, 3 T cider vinegar, 1/8 t Jamaican jerk seasoning, and 1 minced garlic clove in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes or until thickened.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
Calories: 300(26% from fat)
Grams of Fat: 8.5g (Sat: 3.9g, Mono: 2.9g, Poly: 1g)
Source: Cooking Light, December 2002
- 9 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and pressed of liquid
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Boil lasagna noodles until barely cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- In one bowl, mix tomato sauce, oregano and garlic.
- In a second bowl, mash cottage cheese and add broccoli, carrots and parmesan cheese.
- After noodles are drained and slightly cooled, spread approximately 1/2 cup of sauce in bottom of pan.
- Layer 3 noodles on sauce, spread half of broccoli cheese mixture on noodles, and top with 1/2 cup sauce.
- Once again layer 3 noodles and the other half of the broccoli cheese mixture, topping with 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Top it off with the last 3 noodles and the last of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake about 45 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Cool 10-20 minutes before serving.