Breakfast Recipes for Health
Heart-Healthy Oat Bran Muffins
- 2 cups oat bran
- ¼-cup brown sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. nutmeg
- ½-cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- ¼-cup honey
- 2 T. canola oil
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- Combine oat bran, brown sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add milk, egg whites, honey, oil, and vanilla.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Add ½-cup raisins, a mashed banana, ½-cup blueberries or raspberries, or a chopped apple tossed with 1 t cinnamon.
Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup sliced ripe frozen banana (about 1 large)
- 1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1/2-cup skim or 1% low-fat milk
- 2 T whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs
- 1 T nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3 ice cubes (about ¼-cup)
- Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze until firm (about 1 hour).
- Place frozen banana and remaining ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 (1 cup each)
Calories: 216 (12% From Fat)
Grams of Fat: 2.8g (Sat: 1.5g, Mono: 0.8g, Poly: 0.3g)
Source: Cooking Light, August 2006