2. Disability Awareness Program
In order to promote a healthy inclusive environment, and foster a climate of acceptance and support for people with disabilities, the Inclusion Team created a Disability Awareness Program (DAP). This educational program was designed to teach school age children (ages 7-8) about various disabilities they may encounter in the community.
Goals for the Disability Awareness Program include:
- To introduce and promote "people first" language and vocabulary related to specific disabilities.
- To increase awareness that people are different in many ways and the differences should not act as a barrier to friendship and acceptance.
- To increase knowledge of various types of disabilities such as vision, speech, hearing, motor, cognitive, and behavioral impairments.
- To simulate different types of disabilities and increase participant sensitivity.
- To introduce various types of adapted equipment and assistive technologies available for people with disabilities.
- To promote social acceptance and encourage friendship development.