Purpose, Philosophy, and Goals
- To welcome and facilitate the inclusion of people with disabilities into existing programs offered by the participating departments; and
- To assist with ADA compliance when participating municipal facilities and parks are newly created or renovated.
The philosophy of this agency is that "everyone in our communities shall have the opportunity to participate in, to benefit from, and to enjoy the parks and recreation programs and facilities provided by the departments participating in Municipal Partners for Inclusive Recreation."
MPIR constructed several goals to help achieve its purpose and uphold its philosophy:
- To increase the participation of children and adults with disabilities in existing parks and recreation programs provided by the departments.
- To provide person-centered, individualized support to meet the needs of the participating individual.
- To enhance the physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being of children and adults with disabilities via their participation in the recreation activities provided by the departments.
- To increase the independence, confidence, and self-esteem of the children and adults with disabilities taking part in the departments' programs.
- To provide opportunities for people with disabilities to cultivate new recreational interests, meet new people, and possibly develop new friendships.
- To ensure participating municipalities' facilities and parks are in ADA compliance when newly created or renovated.
- To advocate for individuals with disabilities' rights to recreation participation, community access, and community involvement.