By: Adaptive Sports USA
Adaptive Sports USA is a 501(c)(3) national organization. Since 1956, the organization has been a national leader in promoting active, healthy lifestyles through recreational and competitive sport for individuals with a physical disability. The mission of Adaptive Sports USA is to engage, evolve, and empower individuals with a disability to be involved in adaptive sport through education, coaching, and advocacy.
One of the Adaptive Sports USA signature events is Junior Nationals, the largest, longstanding, annual multi-sport event for youth with a physical disability and/or visual impairment in the United States. The weeklong national sporting event is open to young athletes through the age of 22.
Junior Nationals is contested in a different city each summer. The 2018 edition will be held in Fort Wayne, IN July 21 through 28 with Adaptive Sports USA working alongside the local organizing committee at Turnstone. Sports to be contested include archery, paratriathlon, powerlifting, shooting, swimming, table tennis, and track and field. Sport and educational clinics as well as social opportunities will also be provided to athletes, parents, coaches, and officials throughout the week.
Junior Nationals began in 1984 with three sanctioned events for wheelchair athletes ages 7 to 19. It has grown over the years and now, in its 35th year, serves over 200 athletes with an amputation, cerebral palsy, dwarfism, an intellectual impairment, limb deficiencies, a spinal cord injury, a visual impairment, and/or other congenital abnormalities from across the U.S. Several events are open to athletes with an intellectual disability as determined by the International Sports Federation for Persons with Intellectual Disability. The event has served over 6,000 youth since its inception.
Junior Nationals is an avenue for young athletes to showcase their abilities through sport. The event is a platform to promote physical activity and independence. Athletes often experience heightened socialization, self-esteem, and confidence as well as develop self-discipline and focus while training for and participating in the event. Additionally, Junior Nationals can serve as a pipeline to international competition and the Paralympic Games.
We invite the NCHPAD community to get engaged today!
- Spread the word to those that may benefit from this opportunity!
- Join us as a volunteer or spectator!
- Attend one of the qualifiers leading up to Junior Nationals within the Adaptive Sports USA Series of Sanctioned Events, a National Governing Body or High School Athletic Association sanctioned event, or other events as approved by Adaptive Sports USA.
- Gain additional information and register to compete online through July 1 at http://juniornationals.adaptivesportsusa.org.
- Offer your financial or in-kind support as a part of our Family of Sponsors or contribute through an individual donation. Please contact email@example.com or visit http://juniornationals.adaptivesportsusa.org/sponsorship-opportunities.