Low Calorie Stuffing/Dressing
- 3 ¾ cups cubed white bread
- 1 ½ cups cubed whole-wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ pound low-fat turkey sausage
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 ½ teaspoons dried sage
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 ounces sharp light cheddar, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup turkey stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread white and whole-wheat bread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes or until nicely toasted. Transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onions and garlic cook, stirring, for several minutes until onions are golden.
- Add sausage, breaking up with spoon, and cook until evenly browned. Add celery, sage, rosemary and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
- Pour sausage mixture over bread cubes. Mix in apple, cranberries, parsley and cheese. Drizzle with turkey stock and toss together lightly. Let cool.
- Spoon stuffing into turkey, loosely filling cavity.