How Can I Manage Portion Control?
Controlling serving sizes can be key for weight maintenance and loss. Consider enjoying sweets and other “junk” foods in moderation to avoid additional calories, fat, and sugar. Try these tips for controlling portion sizes:
- Be very mindful of the food you are eating. Create a food diary or use a calorie tracking app (i.e. MyFitnessPal or Lose It!) to help you physically be aware of how much you are eating.
- Read the nutritional label if it is available. Serving sizes can be tricky, so use measuring cups and spoons to correctly measure out servings.
- Plan your meals ahead of time.
- If you are at a holiday party, use a napkin as a plate. The napkin cannot carry as much as a plate; therefore, you will most likely consume less.
- Drink lots of water. This helps keep you full and hydrated.
- Avoid skipping meals. Eat small healthy snacks throughout the day to bypass the “starving” feeling; this usually leads to overeating or snacking on unhealthy foods.
- Start with small servings first. If you are still hungry, then you can enjoy another serving.