8. To cut calories and reduce saturated fat, choose leaner cuts of meat like skinless chicken breast, pork loin, ground turkey, round roast or steak, sirloin tip side steak, and top sirloin steak.
9. To get more fiber, vitamins and minerals in your diet each day, switch to whole grain options instead of refined grains (Whole wheat bread, brown rice, and quinoa instead of white bread and white rice). Fiber-rich foods will also fill you up quicker and keep you feeling fuller for longer!
10. Save money and calories each day by replacing soda and sugar sweetened beverages with water. If you’re not a fan of plain water, boost the flavor by adding sliced lemon, lime, or orange, or choose no-calorie water enhancers like Mio or Crystal Light.
11. Not a fan of vegetables? Give caramelized onions and roasted vegetables a try! You may find that they have way more flavor than steamed or boiled vegetables. Try tossing vegetables like halved Brussels sprouts in olive oil, add a sprinkle of salt, and bake in the oven on 400°F for 15 minutes. Or if you’re trying to keep the calories down, use a non-stick cooking spray instead of oil to grease your pan or vegetables before cooking.
12. Making homemade salad dressing is an easy way to cut back on sugar and other preservatives while making your salads extra tasty. For a bottle of salad dressing that you can use for weeks, whisk together 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand), 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, 1 clove of minced garlic, and a pinch of salt.
13. Canned beans are a great way to add protein, fiber, and other important nutrients to any meal. Since canned foods are high in sodium, choose low sodium or no salt added options and then add just a sprinkle of salt after the dish has been prepared. Be sure to taste your food before adding salt -- you may find that it doesn’t need it!
14. To reduce added sugar, buy plain or unflavored yogurt or oatmeal and add your own toppings at home! Try flavoring your plain yogurt with sliced strawberries, almonds, and a drizzle of honey.