10 Inclusive Yoga Tips
1. Know what class you are attending- You do not want to walk into an advanced class on your first day.
2. Do your research - Look up different types of adapted yoga moves before attending your first class so you will be prepared and know how to adapt the class for yourself.
3. Dress appropriately - Make sure that you are wearing clothing that you can move and stretch easily in.
4. Introduce yourself to the instructor - Before class begins introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know that you may be adapting some poses to work better for you.
5. Mix yoga poses with rest - You may not be able to complete a full class the first time you attend. Be sure to incorporate some resting poses whenever you feel they are necessary.
6. Focus on your own personal practice – Do not compare yourself to others in the room. Everyone's yoga practice will not look the same. Also, make sure to move at your own pace.
7. Define your practice - Know what you want to get out of the practice and continue working towards that goal.
8. Become an artist yourself - You know your body best, therefore you will know how best to adapt the practice to fit your own needs.
9. Quiet the voices in your head - You know those voices that say you can’t or the ones that say yoga is not for you. Tell them to take a hike and visualize success.
10. If all else fails - JUST BREATHE!