Tips for Including People with Disabilities in Walking Meetings
- Arrange the meeting in advance allowing individuals to bring proper footwear or assistive devices.
- Set the path ahead of time ensuring the same start and finish.
- Ensure that the path is accessible to all persons. Terrain should be a smooth, firm surface with no steep slopes. It should be free of obstacles within the path of travel and include curb cuts at all transfers. Follow the link for a Sidewalk Accessibility Assessment Form.
- For walkers of different abilities, some adjustment in speed may be necessary. The meeting should move at the pace of the slowest person.
- Consider high levels of ambient noise. A bullhorn can be used to ensure the speaker is heard by all.
Other Worksite Wellness Resources: