What additional suggestions are there?
Several additional suggestions for exercise should be adhered to:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and shoes with good support.
- Perform a warm-up and cool-down with every exercise session.
- Start slowly and progress slowly as recommended by a healthcare provider.
- Use the Borg RPE Scale (Appendix A) and heart rate to monitor intensity as prescribed by a healthcare provider. If taking blood pressure or heart medication (e.g., beta blockers, diuretics, antianginals, etc.), use RPE rather than heart rate.
- Breathe properly. Never hold the breath while straining, particularly in the presence of high blood pressure. Generally, an individual should exhale during muscle exertion and inhale during relaxation.
- Drink plenty of water, particularly if sweating during activity.
- Remember to maintain proper posture and form with each exercise. Don't "cheat" to finish any exercise.