General Rules of Goalball
• Game time is 24 minutes, consisting of two 12 minute halves with a 3 minute halftime.
• First ball is determined by a coin toss. The opposing team receives the ball after halftime.
• Each team is allowed three 45 second timeouts in a game.
• Players must wear eyeshades during the game. An official must give permission for players to make any adjustments to eyeshades.
• The team with control of the ball has 10 seconds to throw the ball to the opposing team.
• The ball must be rolled and the ball must touch the overthrow line. If not, the ball is considered to be a high ball and a penalty is given. This ensures that the ball is rolled and not thrown in the game.
• When defending the ball, players must stay within their team area.
• When starting or restarting the game, the referee must say the command, 'play'.
• There are three ways to lose possession of the ball: premature throw, pass out and ball over.
• A goal is scored when the ball passes completely over the 9m back (goal) line of either team.
There are two types of penalties in goalball including team penalties and personal penalties. During a penalty situation, only one player remains on the court. This player is responsible for defending the goal during the penalty shot. The player who stays on the court is determined by the type of penalty. For a personal penalty, the player who incurred the penalty stays on the court. If it is a team penalty, the last person who shot remains on the court.
For more information on the rules of Goalball go to the International Blind Sports Federation 2010 – 2013 Goalball Rules.