From the Information Specialists' Desks
Updates and Upcoming Events
One of our goals here at NCHPAD is to provide you with as much new, dynamic content as we can from month to month. Our team of information specialists and videographers have been hard at work over the past few weeks putting together several videos focused on various aspects of health and fitness. A few of these have recently gone live on our YouTube Channel, and we invite you to check them out for some new ideas on exercise and other physical activities that can help improve your overall health.
- Advanced Circuit Exercises
- Looking for a new workout regimen? Check out Bob Lujano’s circuit exercise routine that is guaranteed to get your heart rate up in no time. For additional high-intensity exercise opportunity, don’t forget to check out each day’s new Champion’s Rx workout on the NCHPAD home page.
- Balance Training
- This two-part video series focuses on all aspects of balance, including the importance of good posture and the benefits of consistent balance training. They will also teach you more about all of the muscles involved in maintaining proper balance and posture, and provide exercises you can do to improve both. Improve your balance and posture to decrease the risk of falls and increase your overall health.
Events and Opportunities
- Active Living Research (ALR) Annual Conference
- The ALR conference theme for this year is “Niche to Norm.” The overall focus of the conference will be on presenting and sharing new research and information on building more active communities and the benefits of an active lifestyle.
- March 9-12
- San Diego, CA
- For more information and to register, visit: https://www.regonline.com/register/checkin.aspx?EventId=1317926&MethodId=0&EventSessionId=&startnewreg=1
- Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) Building a Healthier Future Summit
- The PHA Building a Healthier Future Summit will provide attendees with a wide range of sessions dedicated to helping practitioners, communities, and individuals make the healthy choice the easy choice.
- March 12-14
- Washington, D.C.
- For more information and to register, visit: http://ahealthieramerica.org/summit/about-the-summit/
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health and Fitness Summit and Exposition
- The ACSM Health & Fitness Summit & Exposition is a signature annual fitness conference that provides attendees with a full spectrum of programming focused on all aspects of health and fitness. This includes lectures, presentations, and hands on workouts.
- April 1-4, 2014
- Atlanta, GA
- For more information and to register, visit: http://www.acsmsummit.org/
- How to Design and Deliver an Accessible Webinar
- All individuals should be given the opportunity to enjoy equitable access to webinars. This session will outline various platforms, accessibility implements, and other elements to creating a webinar that is accessible to all participants.
- February 19th, 1-2.30
- For more information and to register, visit: http://www.ada-audio.org/Webinar/AccessibleTechnology/Schedule/
- Ticket to Work: Support Services for People with Disabilities Who Are Ready to Work
- Some people with disabilities may be able to work and continue receiving disability benefits. On February 26, tune in to a free webinar from the Social Security Administration to learn about the Social Security administration's Ticket to Work program and support services for people who are ready to work.
- February 26th, 2-3.30pm EST
- For more information and to register, visit: https://www.chooseworkttw.net/wise/jsp/webinarInfo.jsp
- Survey: Transportation Access for People with Disabilities
- The Rocky Mountain ADA Center is sponsoring a survey to understand how access to transportation affects social opportunities for people with disabilities. Responses will be used to improve community transportation planning and design.
- To take the survey, visit: https://usu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3qOED2805PPQpGB
- Project AdapTip
- Project AdapTip is an initiative of the International Federation of Adapted Physical Activity aimed at gathering as many different physical activity adaptations as possible. IFAPA. The project is soliciting input from people all over the web through their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- To learn more and participate, visit: https://www.facebook.com/IFAPA.tips