Introduction to Kayaking
Kayaking is a recreational activity in which individuals can experience the outdoors and get an excellent cardiovascular workout. Kayaking can be done almost anywhere and is easily adapted to various ability levels. The American Canoe Association (ACA) promotes the benefits of canoeing and kayaking while offering courses on the basics of paddling, safety and rescue courses, and instructor certification.
- Proper clothing is essential when paddling.
- Personal flotation devices should be worn at all times regardless of experience.
- Temperature regulation is important when paddling due to the exposure to wind and water. Wet suits can provide insulation, additional cushioning and protection from skin abrasions.
- Always paddle with a partner.
- Be aware of weather conditions.
- Never get into a situation that exceeds your paddling ability.